- Preparation time
- 30 mins
- Cooking time
- 30 mins
- 3 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- June 4, 2017
About Spicy Pol Roti & Red Lentil Coconut Curry:
When I was a school going kid, I could spend most of my school holidays in my grandmother’s place which is in the hill country region of Sri Lanka. It is a small village surrounded by tea plants. What I really loved there was the lifestyle in the midst of the tea estates.
Ancestors of most of the plantation workers there were brought to this region during the British Raj period from the southern part of India. They live in Sri Lanka for generations and support the economy as a backbone with their plantation work. Most of them start their work early morning with a cup of black tea and a beloved traditional combo; Pol Roti with Red Lentil Coconut Curry or Coconut Sambol. Pol Roti is a simple Sri Lankan flatbread usually made with all-purpose flour. Variants of roti include Coconut Roti (Pol Roti in Sinhalese), in which shredded coconut is mixed into the dough. Another variant is Spicy Coconut Roti, in which shredded coconut, chopped onions and green chillies are used while making the dough.
Interestingly one of my blog followers asked for a traditional Sri Lankan Recipe. So I thought of sharing the traditional spicy pol roti recipe with red lentil coconut curry.
- This recipe can only be tried with red lentils of masoor dal as other varieties of dal don’t give the exact taste.
- You can also avoid garnishing the curry with coriander leaves if you don’t like it.
- You can replace all-purpose flour with wheat flour with the same steps.
- Sift the flour in the large bowl, add a tablespoon of salt, and ghee to it and mix it well.
- Shred the whole coconut and add half of it to the mix.
- Cut 01 onion, 04 green chillies and a little curry leaves into very small pieces and add it to the bowl. Add water little by little to the mix and knead the mix slowly till it becomes a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into lemon sized balls. One by one roll out the balls of dough to roti of 7-inch diameter circle and keep aside.
- Heat the pan and place the roti, cook on either side till it turns light brown.
- Pressure cook the red lentils with 300ml water and turmeric powder and keep aside.
- In a pan heat a little oil and then curry leaves, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds. And then add the sliced onion, sliced garlic cloves and green chillies and saute it well.
- Grind the remaining shredded coconut into a fine paste by adding a little water and extract the coconut milk.
- Once the onions turn brown add coriander powder and salt to it. Add the cooked lentils to the pan.
- Keeping the flame low, add 200 ml of coconut milk and let the curry boil for a minute or two.
- Transfer the curry to another bowl and garnish it will little coriander leaves. Serve the roti and the curry hot.