- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- 2 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- March 31, 2017
About Aloo Poha:
If you smell a fresh aroma on the streets of Pune during the mornings, then I am sure it must be Pohe. Pohe is a healthy breakfast and well-known street food in Maharashtra.
Pohe is also called as Poha in English. It is a simple, healthy and low-fat breakfast. It is prepared with flatten rice, onion and ground nuts. Even though it’s a Maharashtrian dish it’s very popular in the neighbouring states Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat.
I have planned to give a twist to traditional poha recipe by adding aloo, green peas and fried onions.
- Instead of green peas you can also use ground nuts.
- Pomegranate can also be used for garnishing.
- The dish can be can be made with carrots or fried eggplant.
- Chop the onions, potatoes and chillies into small pieces.
- Wash the flatten rice with water for at least 2 times, drain out the water, squeeze lemon on it and keep aside.
- Place the pan on medium flame, heat oil on it, fry the potatoes cut into small pieces and chopped onions till they turn golden and keep aside.
- Remove the oil and heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the pan and crackle the mustard and cumin seeds.
- Then add curry leaves, green peas and green chillies, saute them for a few seconds.
- Then add the fried potato and onion to it. Add salt and turmeric powder to it and mix it well.
- After 5 minutes add the poha and stir it well. Reduce the flame, cover the pan with the lid and let the poha, green piece and vegetables be cooked for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, garnish the dish with chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot with a cup of tea or milk.