- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- 3 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- April 4, 2017
About Akki Roti:
Kodagu region of Karnataka is famous for three things. Undoubtedly coffee comes first in everyone’s mind, which is followed by Akki Roti with Pandi Curry for a Non-Vegetarian and Akki Roti with Peanut Chutney for a Vegetarian.
Akki Roti is a fluffy roti made with rice flour by Coorgis (Native People of Kodagu Region). Unlike other rotis, it is very different in taste as well as the method of preparation. Usually, the people of Kodagu take this during the course of Breakfast. It is made with rice, coconut, carrot, chillies and coriander.
Today I have planned to try out the roti at my kitchen with a South Indian Mint Chutney.
- For mint chutney please see the same recipe on the blog.
- Avoid using cold water for making the dough. It’s not suggested as it changes the taste of the roti.
- Start spreading the dough balls into rotis as soon as the mixing is done. Don’t let the dough dry, as it will be difficult to spread the dough into a perfect roti.
- Finely chop the onions, carrots, coriander leaves, curry leaves and chillies and grate the coconut.
- Add the rice flour to a bowl along with other ingredients and mix it well.
- Add a few drops of oil and water little by little and mix it well until it becomes a soft dough. Divide the dough into lemon sized balls.
- Heat the roti tawa and grease it with very little oil.
- Grease the Banana Leaf with oil and start spreading the dough into a large flat disc using the hands. Dab a little oil on your finger if the roti dough sticks.
- Carefully remove the roti from the banana leaf and place it on the roti tawa.
- Toast it on both the side and sprinkle little oil on it to avert dryness. Toast the roti till brown spots appear on both the side.
- Follow the same procedure, toast the rotis one by one and serve it hot with the mint chutney.