Our cuisine is a combination of South Indian and South East Asian cuisines. Most of our dishes are heavily influenced by them. One such is Maggi Goreng.
Goreng means fried in the Malay language. Maggi Goreng is just another fried street food like Mee Goreng (Fried Noodles) made with Maggi. A bowlful hot Maggi Goreng and a chilled cup of Milo Tabur can bring the happy smiley on anyone’s face with no other reasons.
Myself and my nephew, we both tried Mie Goreng with Maggi recently in our kitchen. Mie Goreng is a flavourful spicy fried noodles dish common in Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, Singapore and Sri Lanka. Even nowadays it has become very popular in Sri Lanka because of the Malay Community living there. The unique ingredients in this recipe are sweet soy source and shrimp paste. And of course, Maggi! Served it with a half-boiled egg omelette as how it’s traditionally served.
Let’s see how to make Maggi Goreng.
- Maggi Packets - 03 Nos
- Jumbo Prawns - 200 gm
- Eggs - 02 Nos
- Carrot - 01 No
- Beans - 100 gm
- Shrimp Paste - 02 tablespoon
- Sweet Soy Sauce - 01 tablespoon
- Soy Sauce - 01 tablespoon
- Garlic - 02 Cloves
- Scallion - 100 gm
- Cooking Oil - As Required
- Sesame Oil - 02 tablespoons
- Salt - 02 tablespoons
- Chilli Flakes - A Little
- Chilli Powder - A Little
- Chop the vegetables into small pieces and keep them aside.
- Chop the prawns into small pieces and marinate them with chilli powder & salt for 15 mins.
- Heat cooking oil in a pan and shallow fry the prawn pieces. Keep them aside.
- In another large pan bring water to a boil. Cook maggi without the tastemaker in it and set aside for cooling.
- In a frying pan add sesame oil and the chopped garlic and scallion. Saute it for a minute.
- Add the vegetables and cook until everything turns soft.
- Once the vegetables are cooked add the fried prawns, sweet soy sauce, soy sauce, shrimp paste, salt & maggi tastemakers and stir it well. Cook for a while.
- Add the cooked maggi and stir to combine well with the meat & vegetables.
- Stove of the stove and transfer the maggi to serving bowls or plates.
- Prepare sunny side up eggs and sprinkle salt & chilli flakes on it.
- Serve the maggi goreng with sunny side up egg.
Don't overcook maggi. You may end up with a mushy one which is not the right one for making mee goreng. You can also replace prawns with chicken or fish. For vegetarians paneer and mushroom are the best alternatives.